17 New Year’s Resolutions… and how to make them stick!
As we close this year up, we can think about New Year’s resolutions! Have you ever made a list of stuff you’d like to achieve in the new year… however never get around to it? Maybe you wanted to lose some weight, and you were able to be successful for a few weeks, but you went back to your old routine? Research has shown that 92% of New Year’s Resolutions fail. The top five resolutions have to do with losing weight, reducing stress, eat healthier, getting fit or saving money.
Now here is your chance to choose some New Year’s Resolutions and make them stick! Here is our top 20 list of New Year’s Resolutions, and some ideas on how to make them work!
1. Lose weight and get in shape! Losing weight is a popular New Year’s Resolution. Approximately 30% of people who make a New Year’s Resolutions list have this on their list. The best way to lose weight is by working with a buddy or an accountability friend. LoseIt! is a great and FREE app you can get on your mobile device or tablet. It also has a desktop version. You can upgrade the app for more detailed information on your macronutrients or other information. You can look up your foods and their calories, and join groups and challenges to help boost your New Year’s Resolution!
2. Eat healthier, eating less, and more! Eating healthier is so important to our health, and especially to those who would like to lose weight. Another great app you can get is My Fitness Pal. Like LoseIt, it is a free application where you can track your activity, connect it to a step counter, and talk with others in a community like a forum. Browse online resources through Pinterest and come up with a plan. I am currently doing the ketogenic diet where I cut out all carbs and focus on consuming only protein and fats. If this is not ideal for you, take a look at Weight Watchers program, or speak to a nutrient to figure out the best way you can eat healthier.
3. Stop smoking! By stopping smoking, you can get healthier within hours and days! The best way is to speak to your doctor before picking out over the counter medications like patches or pills that guarantee not smoking. There are cessation classes you can take to local hospitals or mental health clinics. Contact your health insurance to find out what is covered. Remember, take it one day at a time.. and you can do it!
4. Make new friends. Have you moved and in need of making friends? Have you just decided you needed more friends in your life? Join a church and meet with members of it. Maybe go to your local college and take a class or two. Go on social media and look on local forums and community groups to see what others are doing around your area and join in on the fun!
5. Be more confidence. Who wouldn’t want more confidence? Go out and do it! Do not let anything in your way… set your heart on something, and go for it. Forget about what others will say, and do it for yourself.
6. Become more active and exercise more. Grab a calendar or fitness journal and start planning it out. Join a gym! January is a great time of the year to join a gym. Usually, they are running specials to join. Come up with a plan and stick to it! Makeup which days you will go to the gym, and stick with it. Make it a routine.
7. Make more money! Have you considered looking for your local want ads? Maybe online had hiring websites? Update your resume! Put together a cover letter. Maybe take a few classes at a local college. Maybe invest in stocks or other things. Start a blog! Come up with a list of things you are good at that might turn into something you can make money off of.
8. Stress reduction. Take a yoga class. Go get a massage… you deserve it! Listen to Theta music or soothing music while you write or read. Stress reduction is an important part of better mental and physical health.
9. Finding a significant other. This coming year is your year to find a significant other! Join a match making the website… go to a local bar, or maybe take a college class. Go on some blind dates, or let your friends set you up with someone.
10. Get over your ex. Did you recently break up with your ex? Having a hard time getting over it? It’s time to go out and have some fun! Meet up with some friends and go out for the evening. Try something new! Be spontaneous. And remember…. everything happens for a reason. In a few years, I am sure you will be thankful you are no longer with that person.
11. Have mind-blowing sex! It’s that year… read up on some new positions! Get yourself or significant other a new outfit to wear. Dress up sexy! Get a few new toys for the bedroom. Spice up that sex life, you and your significant other deserves it!
12. Become cleaner. Check out some of the posts on this blog. The organization is key to success! When you have a cleaner and organized household.. you are much happier! Go room by room and organize each one by one. Make a list of the things that you have put off cleaning, and work on those first!
13. Get out of debt! Budget… Budget.. Budget! Make a plan on how you are going to get out of debt. Go seek advice from a financial counselor. Make a binder and a budget and stick to it.
14. Start saving money! Having a little money on the side is important for a rainy day when everything goes broke! Start saving a dollar each day, and by the end, you will have $365 dollars saved. Save more if you can. Put it in a bucket or a change jar, and most importantly… do not spend it if you don’t have too!
15. Volunteer and help others more. Check out your local Habitat for Humanity or organizations that need volunteers.
16. Less time on social media, more time with family. Cut down your social media time on facebook, Instagram, and snapchat by limiting yourself to 1 hour each. Put down your phone during dinner, and sit down as a family. Make an attempt to sit down altogether as a family at least once a day. During dinner talk to each other about your day. Social amongst yourself and asking questions.
17. Starting remembering important dates and appointments. Get organized and get a calendar! Decide if you do better with a digital calendar you can track easily on your phone/desktop, or an old fashion calendar you carry around with you. There are free apps you can download on your phone or tablet like Google Calendar to track important dates, appointments, and other important dates. Get a planner and write them down!
There you have it… 17 New Year’s Resolutions and idea to make them stick! Merry Christmas, Happy Haunaka, Happy New Years!